Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Piling on the Vegetables

As enamored as I am with juicing, I cannot drink all my meals, no matter how badly I want to lose weight. I love FOOD too much! Since dinner will be juice with protein powder for the next few weeks, I am planning on having salads for lunch. I have a very broad definition of what makes up a salad and hundreds of salad recipes from which to choose so I am eager to get started.

Today was the "All American Cherry Tomato Salad" from Cook's Country. At first glance, it was unusual in that called for cherry tomatoes, cheddar cheese, and bacon dressed in maple syrup and a tomato vinaigrette. I'm not a big fan of cheese, although I love Caprese salad (tomatoes with basil and fresh buffalo mozzarella). I was tempted to swap out the cheddar for mozzarella, the parsley for basil, and leave out the bacon and maple syrup, but the people at Cook's Country have never let me down, so I went with the recipe as is.


I'm glad I did. The flavor combination was unusual but actually quite delicious. I didn't have  bacon on hand so I used beef summer sausage that I briefly fried in a pan. I also used a mix of beautiful heirloom cherry tomatoes that varied in texture, flavor and acidity. I thawed the cheddar cheese in the microwave and over-heated it so the texture turned out crumbly (very odd), but was still edible. The salad is so beautiful to look at, that I think this posting deserves a second, detailed picture of the texture.


Today's juice turned out so yummy, that I drank some as my beverage with lunch. Here are the proportions for the ingredients:
  • 1/2 raw beets and greens
  • 1/4 carrots
  • 1/4 spinach
  • Fill blender with unfiltered, 100% apple juice to cover
This is surprisingly sweet and deelish!

No comments:

Post a Comment