Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Day 33: Dumpling Do-Over

A few weeks ago I made dumpling soup with Ling Ling Chicken and Vegetable Dumplings. Tonight no one was very hungry but we still needed to eat a little something so I pulled out the dumplings again but this time I pan-fried them (instructions are on the bag) and served with ponzu sauce that was jazzed up with toasted sesame seeds, slivered scallions and a pinch of red pepper.


My son asked for dessert and so I combed through my cookbooks and found this recipe for Hot Fudge Pudding cake from americastestkitchen.com. The concept is simple - bake a fudgy cake with its own fudgy sauce that you spoon over the cake. The technique is a bit unusual (you cover a very thick batter with a thick layer of cocoa and sugar and then pour coffee over it) but the result is delicious.


The Results

The dumplings are a favorite around here. The cake was almost completely eaten up in one sitting.

Ratings
  • Difficulty: Both are easy
  • Time to prepare:  The dumplings take about 10 minutes. The cake took about 90 minutes from start to baking to cooling.
  • Prognosis:  These are now family favorites

My Shopping List

Nothing - I made do with what I had on hand.

The Tally
  • The day's tally: $0
  • Total this week so far: $0
  • Total this month, to date: $65.19

2 comments:

  1. I love dumplings! One of my favorite things to eat when I was in Japan. Where can you get them here, and do they make vegetarian versions? I'd love to get some!

    The cake looks to die for - we'll have to try that sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lorelei, I buy the Ling Ling dumplings at Costco. I seem to recall seeing vegetarian dumplings too but can't say for sure. Happy eating!

    PS

    ReplyDelete